A great day out at Meadow Park

So we have an interlull break... no Premier League this weekend.

What's the next best thing?  Watching the first game of the season for Arsenal Ladies Football Club, or as they are now known, Arsenal WFC, against West Ham.  Call me old-fashioned but I like the previous name better.  Though having said that, AWFC does have a nice look to it, just as I loved Arsene Wenger's tracksuit with his initials AW on it.  It's my family name, so I'm biased.

Interest in the women's game is growing, especially after this year's World Cup in France and there will even be a few games broadcast live this season.




The Ladies play their home games at Meadow Park in Borehamwood, and it is also the home of Boreham Wood FC, but I have no clue which division or league they are playing in and no real desire to find out.  I might be more keen if it was in my neighbourhood.

It is a long drive  to the ground (almost an hour from my flat) and I decide not to take any chances as I might get lost, I might not get a ticket (AWFC won the league last season and they expect a big crowd), or worst of all, not find a parking spot. I arrive there almost 2 hours before kickoff and fall in love with the place immediately.  It is a charming little stadium with seats on both sides and a brand new terrace for standing just put in behind one of the goals.  That makes my day.  The new stand is called The North Bank and presumably when Arsenal win the Women's Champions League again (they are the only English team to have won it), they might put up another stand at the other end and call it the Clock End.



Tickets are only 7 pounds online, and 10 if you buy it at the stadium - sit or stand where you like (in the designated areas).  Because it is so affordable, there are lots of families with young kids in tow.  There is a real laidback atmosphere at the ground, and everyone has time for your questions, even if the directions or instructions aren't always accurate.  I join a queue of people who are waiting to buy tickets and 5 minutes before the booth opens, we are told that the tickets will be sold at another booth.  It's such a lovely day and with such nice vibes around the place that no one gets upset.



Lunch is inside the ground and you have two choices, sausage on a roll (it's a hot dog actually) or a burger.  Or just chips (fries) if you just want carbs - oh there's also ice cream sold by a chap wheeling a box around the ground during halftime. The lady who takes my order calls everyone darlin'.  I love it already.  Bottled water is 2 pounds (note to self:  bring drinks next time), and they take the cap off before handing it to you.  What do they think I am going to do with the cap?  I guess it has to do with security in that you can't throw the bottle effectively without the cap on? (Maybe an experiment for a slow Sunday)  They do have some interesting rules regarding drinks in this country.  For instance in the Emirates, beer is sold inside the stadium concourse, but you can't take the beer to your seat (there might be riots in some countries if they tried to impose the same rule).  I was told by someone that for European games, no beer is sold inside the stadium at all.  Now I understand why they voted for Brexit. (Afternote: I find out subsequently this isn't true.  About the ban on beer, not Brexit.)

It's still early and there's hardly anyone inside the grounds.  I eat my sausage roll standing at the side of the pitch.  It really is a beautiful day.  The sun is out, though it is a little chilly - I am not sure I would fancy doing this in winter.

The players come up for their warm ups and I am immediately struck by how big some of them look in comparison with their teammates.  Jill Roord, a new Dutch signing (we seem to be getting a nice core of them in the team) is physically imposing but when I check online, she is listed as 5' 8''.  I could have sworn she was a 6-footer.  I am not familiar with the team apart from those who starred at the World Cup but there is a lot of talent here.  The crowds have their favourites and most of them are understandably in the attacking side of the team (Danielle van de Donk who does a delicious chip over the keeper in the warm up, Beth Mead, Jordan Nobbs who was a world cup pundit on TV, and the captain, Kim Little) but the defence, like their male counterparts, isn't the most reassuring.  The biggest star Vivianne Miedema isn't playing though I thought she did warm up.



There is a buzz of excitement and expectation around the ground as we approach kickoff.  Beating Spurs 6-0 pre-season may have something to do with it.  Fatboy Slim's "Right here, right now" starts playing and that is the cue for the teams to come out, just as in the Emirates.  Perhaps when the women's game gets more popular, it can develop its own traditions or branding.  There is a nice catchy song which I find out on my next visit, is a staple for the women's game.  It is Republica's "Ready to go", a great song with a most appropriate title.  I notice a group of older women who seem to be regulars, singing along and really getting into the song.



I of course search for the song later on iTunes and download it - I am still old school and like to own things. Heh.  It is another great find of 'new' music (I am typically late to the party) though sports.  Other great finds (The Black Keys, The Offspring) have been through playlists made by people for their gym or bike or whatever routines they have.  



The game gets underway and they are good.  The standards of the women's game seem to have gone up quite a bit (not that I've watched a great deal of women's football before the world cup) and it is really fast.  Relentless pressing is the name of the game now.  Much like my experience in my old man's team playing against the younger and fitter women's league teams back home.  I watch the first half from the seated stand, but switch to the North Bank standing terraces for the second half, just for the experience.  And also because Arsenal are attacking that end for the second half. Some fans have songs for their favourite players, while there are others who sing the more common Arsenal songs (but not the, shall we say, salty versions?)



Another great touch is that after the game some of the players will come pitchside to talk to the fans, many of whom are young girls.  Wefies are of course de rigeur, as are autographs.  I see male fans wearing signed jerseys of their favourite women players and that's really cool.

Arsenal win 2-1 but it's almost irrelevant.  It has just been a great day out.  I will be back.


Comments

Popular Posts